April 23, 2006

From My Bedroom Window



This is the view from my bedroom window. The tree in my front yard bloomed overnight. I love this view. Even in the middle of winter it is wonderful. The Victorian houses across the street are always happy. The bushes provide shelter to a hundred of birds with a hundred songs. I'm trying to learn them so that I can recognize which bird goes with which song, but then the Mockingbirds throw me for a loop because they know a hundred songs, too. They are song stealers and their imitations are in ways better than the originals because they project their thievery loudly and clearly.

For now, the dead of night is dead quiet. Not a peep, nor engine, nor distant drone, nor car alarm. Dead, still, quiet except for the occasional cat scream. It will only stay like this for a short while though, because once summer arrives the night will be full of the loudest crickets and frogs. I can barely hear myself dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright of text and images retained by the author